A new event is starting in Game of Thrones: Winter is Coming, and it will make players compete against their opponents in a new battlefield. Real-time strategy will be needed to win essential resources while fighting your enemy. Let’s see how the event will take place and get ready to win the war.
How to Register and Prepare for the Siege of Winterfell
The top 50 alliances in unprotected kingdoms will qualify to participate in this event. All participants will join a league that is based on their battle rating: Super League, A League, and B League.
Players will have 24 hours to register, and can join the battlefield 30 minutes before the match starts. During these 30 minutes, players can teleport to a new map and all the buffs and Lord bonuses will be copied in the match.
Alliance officials will be able to buy the healing speed up items in the Battle Shop before the match begins.
It is important to know that during this event, no troop will die.
Here are some features that you won’t be able to use:
- Dragon and Race Boots will not be available in the battleground.
- All troop dispatch actions outside the battleground are disabled after entering the battleground.
- The “Rally” function will also be unavailable in the battleground.
The Siege of Winterfell battleground brings new battle modes. Here are a few more info on the even map, occupying buildings, resource delivering and more.
Event Map & Buildings
- First Period – Greyjoy Outpost and Stark Outpost are unshielded.
- Second Period – All remaining structures are unshielded after 12 minutes.
- Third Period – Winterfell resources begin to appear.
Occupy Buildings and Resource Delivering
For every building you occupy on the battlefield, you will receive alliance points and individual points. Structures like Hot Spring or Armory will buff your alliance.
How to Obtain Points
To obtain points, players must capture the buildings on the map. When first occupied, players will earn a lot of points, and the longer they’re able to continue the occupation, they will receive points per minute. The alliance will also receive points when you send Winterfell resources to the buildings your side has occupied.
The RTS Battle Mode
Commanders will receive exclusive real-time strategy skills to use in the Siege of Winterfell. You can use up to three commanders (one of them being the Chief Commander) to each of your three armies. You will be able to first use the Chief Commander’s Active Strategic Skill, then the skill of Deputy Commander 1 and Deputy Commander 2, then back to Chief Commander in a cycle.
Each Commander has a unique Active Strategic Skill, which uses Rage as a resource, and cooldown between the casts. However, the skills of commanders may be used at the same time, if planned correctly. Here are the available commanders during this event:
Russell, Robb Stark, Seg, Gorell, Haley, Chris, Jon Snow, Andrea, Sansa Stark, Meranda, Theon Greyjoy, Sheila, Soren, Jeane, Laena Water, Annie, Merrel Peake, Arslan, Cersei Lannister, Varys, Melisandre, Feis, Kravras.
The Lord Bonus will only apply once you chose one of the available commanders listed above before entering the battleground.
How to Control Your Armies
While your armies march, you can tell them to attack, move, withdraw or garrison. Here’s how to move your army:
- Select and control the army by left-clicking it on the world map. Alternatively, you can left-click on the avatars in the sidebar to navigate to the army’s location.
- You can select multiple armies by left-clicking twice.
- Players can also select a single or multiple armies by using the numbers on their keyboard.
- Deploy your army by right-clicking an empty spot towards where you want them to move. Clicking on the enemy armies will initiate an attack against it.
- On the bottom right of the screen there are also the Garrison and Withdraw command buttons.
- You can select an enemy army with left-click – the attacker can directly engage in the fight once you click the Attack command button from the bottom right of the screen.
- Left-clicking your enemy or an enemy army on the World Map to view more information about them.
In RTS battles, troops will freely march in Siege of Winterfell, and players can change the march command whenever they want to.
Cavalry is the fastest moving troop, and Infantry will move slower. However, the entire troop will move with the average speed of all soldiers.
The attacking status of the troops and their range can change in real-time as well.
A defeated troop will be forced to retreat – when retreating, the troop cannot be controlled and will not be affected by the environment.
Rules and The Range of Attacks
There are some rules that will help players know which is the best strategy in order to minimize risks and maximize the attack damage.
- Once you send your army to attack an enemy, they will march towards their target and once they get in range, they begin to fight.
- The range for attacks is as follows: Bowmen> Spearmen > Cavalry = Infantry
- For instance, having an army of Bowmen will let you get a wide attack range. Getting only Cavalry or Infantry means the attack range is narrow. Make sure you look at these changes from the deployment panel when selecting different kinds of units.
- While the army can only attack one target, the AoE skill effects will be applied to whatever enemies and allies are in range.
- Every second of the fight, your army will attack the enemy – only if it’s in range. When your army gets attacked, the units will counterattack once – if the target attacking you is in range, the counterattack will deal less damage.
- Players can use more armies to attack an enemy army. If your enemy attacks your army with two armies at the same time, your army will get a debuff and receive extra damage. The more enemy armies attacking your army, the more damage and debuffs you will receive.
- Once you start the battle, you can change the command any time you want – you can cancel attacks, and if the enemy cancels the attack as well, the battle will immediately end.
Commanding Your Troops With Keyboard Shortcuts
As we mentioned earlier, you can control your armies with keyboard shortcuts and not just the mouse.
- Select team 1 with Number key “1”
- Select team 2 with Number key “2”
- Select team 3 with Number key “3”
- Multi-select teams with Shift key
- Recall the selected teams with “R”
- Make the selected teams stand down with “S”
Rewards from the Siege of Winterfell
As any battles, there have to be some rewards, but who gets the spoils of war? The battleground will have a countdown timer, and once it gets to zero, the alliance that has gathered the most points will win the Siege of Winterfell.
Each player that has been part of the Siege of Winterfell will get rewards based on how well they had performed. The players in the winning alliance will get exclusive rewards.
The points earned in the battlefield can be used in the Valor Shop, where they can be exchanged for Awakening materials or Simon Medals.
Start your battle and seize your throne in Westeros right away. The adventure starts as soon as you press the play button on the R2Games platform. Learn more about Game of Thrones Winter is Coming on the R2Games platform.
Chin Cullin has only been working as a journalist for just a few short years. Chin attended a technical school while still in high school where he learned a variety of skills, from digital design to coding. Apart from being a contributor to the site, Chin also helps keep Henri Le Chat Noir up and running as our webmaster.