Did it ever cross your mind to change Alexa‘s name to something else but did not know if it’s possible or how to do it? If someone you know shares the same name, or you’d just prefer to call it by another name, you can modify the wake word for Amazon‘s assistant to a different one.
Alexa is the default name of the AI that ‘live’ inside Amazon speakers, including the third-generation Amazon Echo and Amazon Echo Dot. Alexa is able to provide you with the news, weather, play music, enable smart home devices, order something, initiate calls, and so on.
If you know how to change the AI’s name, you can summon it by saying ‘Amazon,’ ‘Echo,’ or even ‘Computer.’ For now, these are the only phases available, but you can rotate between them any time by following the guidelines we provide below.
Remember that Alexa’s wake words function on a device-by-device basis, and you have to use the steps provided for each Echo device in your home. Amazon has also updated the AI in Alexa so that you skip the wake word before every command. If you turn on the ‘Follow-up Mode,’ your Echo device will keep listening for the following five seconds after the completion of a request.
How to Change Alexa’s Name
Follow the steps below to change the name of your Echo speaker.
- Launch the ‘Amazon Alexa’ app on your Android or iOS device
- Tap the three-line menu button on the top left of the display
- Head to ‘Settings,’ and choose the ‘Device Settings’ option
- Tap on the Echo device you want to change; note that you can only change the wake word of one device at a time
- Scroll down and tap on the ‘Wake Word’ option
- Select ‘Alexa,’ ‘Amazon,’ ‘Echo,’ or ‘Computer,’ depending on your name preference
After you’ve changed the name of the Echo device to one of the available options, you can change it back to the name of your likes by following the same steps.