You’ve probably got used to some degree with the videos that automatically start to play on Facebook, Twitter, or just on the Internet in general, even though you – and most people – find the function incredibly annoying. They start playing immediately as you load a page or when you scroll through a page.
Automatic video play is a feature that is more annoying than useful. Also, the videos can be harmful, as they expose you to violent, offensive, or unwanted content that you shouldn’t be forced to see by default.
Whether you want to disable the autoplay function on social media platforms or are looking for a more general fix, we’ve got some solutions. Remember, though, that you’ll need to adjust these settings for every device that you use because your preferences on a device doesn’t automatically transfer to another.
Disable Autoplay on Facebook
If you’re using Facebook on a browser, you can disable the function this way:
- Head to the drop-down menu at the top right of the page and select ‘Settings & Privacy’
- Tap on ‘Settings’ and look for the ‘Videos’ option on the menu
- Inside the listing is a toggle where you can disable the autoplay function of videos
Facebook has similar options for its iOS and Android applications.
Using the iOS App
- Tap on the menu button on the bottom of your screen, go to ‘Settings & Privacy’ and then to ‘Settings’
- Find the ‘Media and Contacts’ option and tap on ‘Videos and Photos’
- Scroll down to ‘Autoplay’ and turn off the feature
Using the Android App
- Select the menu button at the top right of your screen, head to ‘Settings & Privacy,’ then to ‘Settings’
- Scroll down to the ‘Media and Contacts’ option and tap on it
- Select ‘Autoplay’ and set it to ‘Never Autoplay Videos’
Disable Autoplay on Twitter
To turn off the autoplay feature, follow these steps:
- Click on ‘More’ in the left-hand menu, and then on ‘Settings and privacy’
- Select ‘Data usage’ and then ‘Autoplay’ – switch off the feature
Using the iOS and Android Apps
- Tap on the profile picture at the top of your phone screen and go to the ‘Settings and privacy’ option
- Scroll down to ‘Data usage,’ tap on ‘Video autoplay’ and set it to ‘Never’
Disable the Autoplay Feature on Reddit
Reddit, similar to most websites that host videos, autoplay them by default. However, it is very easy to disable the function.
Using the Newest Design
- Tap on your username in the upper-right corner and select ‘User settings’ in the menu
- Select the ‘Feed settings’ option at the top of the page, and disable the ‘Autoplay media’ button
Using the Legacy Version
- Select ‘Preferences’ next to your username in the top right of the window
- Under ‘Media,’ look for and turn off ‘Autoplay Reddit videos on the desktop comments page’
- Hit ‘Save options’ at the bottom of the screen to save the changes
Using the Mobile App
- Tap the icon next to the search bar, then select ‘Settings’
- The ‘Autoplay’ option is near the top of the page, and you can easily disable it
Disable Autoplay on Desktop Browsers
There are plenty of desktop browsers out there, but not all of them make it possible to disable the function. Some, like Google Chrome, don’t allow it, but others, including Microsoft Edge and Firefox, enable you to turn the feature off.
Using Microsoft Edge
- Select the three dots in the upper right corner and click on ‘Settings’
- In the left-hand listing, click on ‘Site Permissions,’ and then find ‘Media autoplay’
You can either allow the automatic play of both audio and video or limit it. As per the instructions, whether autoplay will function or not will rely on ‘how you’ve visited the page and whether you interacted with media in the past.’
Firefox has a similar option that allows you to disable autoplay, for the most part.
- Click on the three lines in the upper right corner of the browser and select ‘Preferences’
- Click on the ‘Privacy & Security’ option and find ‘Permissions’
- Look for ‘Autoplay,’ and click on the ‘Settings’ button
A drop-down menu will allow you to choose from a few options: allow audio and video, block audio, or block audio and video. You can also choose which websites you want to set apart from your defaults.
Safari makes it very simple to turn off the video autoplay feature. As a matter of fact, it assumes you want the function disabled by default, but it hasn’t been disabled completely.
- Go to Safari and select ‘Preferences’ in the top menu
- Click on ‘Websites’ and scroll down to ‘Auto-play’
- Look for the drop-down menu at the bottom right of the window and select ‘Never Auto-Play’
Similar to what Firefox offers, you can whitelist any websites that you want to be an exception.
Here is our simple guide on how to disable the video/audio autoplay feature that most people are annoyed by. If you even want to enable the function again, simply follow the same steps and turn it on.
Paula is an outstanding reporter for Henri Le Chat Noir, always finding new and interesting topics to bring to the portal. She mostly crafts Science and Technology news articles, covering everything one needs to know about those niches. Paula studied at Concordia University.