If you own an iPhone or Mac and want to stream a video from a particular app on your device to your TV, you can use AirPlay. However, if you’d rather cast the whole screen, with all the tabs or applications you may have open, then we recommend you to use mirroring.
Here is how to mirror your screen on TV for a better experience.
How to Mirror Your iPhone Screen
These guidelines are meant for iPhones, but the steps can also be applied to iPads and iPod Touch.
- Launch the Control Center by either swiping up down from the upper-right corner
- Tap on the ‘Screen Mirroring’ option
- Choose the device you want to use from the drop-down options
- A pop-up window may be appearing, asking for a code. Enter the code displayed on your TV in the box
- You’re now mirroring your iPhone screen
To exit off the Screen Mirroring tab and the Control Center, simply touch the screen outside the window. If you own an iPhone 8 or earlier, simply press the home button twice.
- To stop mirroring your screen, open the Control Center again
- Tap the ‘Screen Mirroring’ button that shows the name of the device you’re mirroring on
- Select the ‘Stop Mirroring’ option on the window that appears
How to Mirror Your Mac Screen
- Click on the ‘AirPlay’ button in the menu bar, located at the top-right corner of the screen
- Choose the device you want to cast to
- You may be asked to enter the code from your TV; type in the code in the window that appears on your laptop
- You should now be mirroring your Mac screen
There are a few options for changing the proportions of the screen, and you can access these via the AirPlay button in the menu bar. Click on the ‘Mirror Built-In Display’ to have the TV match the screen to the sizes of the Mac display or select the ‘Mirror Apple TV’ option to have the laptop display according to the proportions of the TV.
To switch off the feature, head to the AirPlay button and select the ‘Turn AirPlay off’ option.
How to Enable AirPlay on Your Mac
If you cannot find the AirPlay button in the menu bar at the top area of your display, you need to enable it. Here is how to do so:
- Click on the ‘Apple’ button in the menu bar, located in the top-left corner of the screen
- Click on the ‘System Preferences’ option and then on ‘Displays’
- Make sure that ‘Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available‘ is selected
Those are the basic things you need to do in order to mirror your iPhone or Mac screen on a TV. If you do not want to cast the entire display, simply use AirPlay to stream content from other apps on your iPhone, Mac, or Windows PC to your TV.
Paula is an outstanding reporter for Henri Le Chat Noir, always finding new and interesting topics to bring to the portal. She mostly crafts Science and Technology news articles, covering everything one needs to know about those niches. Paula studied at Concordia University.