TikTok, along 58 other apps have been banned by the Indian government following the conflict on disputed western Himalayan borders that led to the death of dozens of both Chinese and Indian soldiers. As a response to the clash, the Chinese app TikTok is no longer available on app stores in India.
For now, it is still accessible for people who installed it, but this might also change soon. Such bans seem to happen more often these days, so if you’re concerned you might lose all the content you uploaded on numerous apps and also on TikTok, it is best to download them and store them safely somewhere.
There are some simple steps you can take to download all your data from TikTok if you live in India or just want to secure the content just in case.
How to Download Your TikTok Data
Manually Download Videos
There are two different methods you can use to download your content from TikTok. The first way is the manual one, which implies downloading each and every video separately. Here is how to do so:
- On your device, launch TikTok and head to your profile section
- Now, open a video, tap on the three-dots menu and choose ‘Save video’
- Once you tap on the option, that particular TikTok video will be downloaded on your device
- To download other videos, simply repeat the steps provided
NOTE: This is the fastest method that’s available at the moment. Moreover, keep in mind that all the videos you will download will have a watermark (stay tuned for a guide on how to download TikTok videos without a watermark).
Request Your Data from TikTok
The second technique you can use to get your content is to request your data from TikTok directly. Once the request is processed, you will be allowed to download all your content from the app. However, this method takes a while, so if you think you’re short of time, it is best to use the first technique we detailed above.
Here is how to fill in a data request on TikTok:
- On your phone, launch TikTok and head to the tree-dots icon in the top-right corner of the screen
- Tap on ‘Privacy and Security’ then on ‘Personalization and Data’ and finally on ‘Download your data’
- On the next window, select the ‘Request data file’ option – this will send a request to TikTok for downloading your content (NOTE that this can take up to 30 days to be processed, as we mentioned earlier)
- Further on, you’ll have to manually keep checking in the settings whether your download request has been processed and you can get down all your data
- Once you see your download request has been approved, go to the ‘Download data’ tab, which is next to the ‘Request data’ section
- Tap on the ‘Download’ button next to the requested data
You should keep in mind that the requested data file will only be available to download for up to four days. This means that if you don’t get down your content within the given timeframe, the data process will expire.
These two methods allow you to download your TikTok data in a simple and easy way. Have you come across any other useful method? Feel free to share it with us in the comments section.
Paula is an outstanding reporter for Henri Le Chat Noir, always finding new and interesting topics to bring to the portal. She mostly crafts Science and Technology news articles, covering everything one needs to know about those niches. Paula studied at Concordia University.